Hello Ratha Con followers,
You’ve seen a lot of these types of posts, so here’s the important point:
*** Ratha Con will take place on October 17th instead of April 18th this year ***
Read on if you’d like more information on how and why we came to this decision and what comes next:
These are our main concerns with hosting Ratha Con on April 18th-
- Obviously, the health and safety of our attendees is extremely important to us. Conventions are by nature a large gathering of people in close proximity and based on the current evidence of the virus spreading amongst individuals with no symptoms, as well as the recent mandates from the Ohio state government, we do not want to put any of our attendees or their families at risk.
- We had been holding out hope that the bans on group events would be lifted by April. However, the Ohio Governor announced on Monday not only that all Rec Centers must close, but that any event over 50 may not operate for at least the next 8 weeks, which unfortunately includes Ratha Con. This means that our hands are effectively tied and not only do we think it best to cancel, but we also have no choice but to cancel.
- We have been working closely with Ohio University this year, including a partnership with the GRID lab, who were helping us bring in guests and planning to host supplemental events. Due to the shutdown of Ohio University for the remainder of the semester, Ohio University and the GRID lab will not be able to participate in Ratha Con, which leaves us without several key resources and assistance for putting on our event.
- In addition, the shutdown of the University means we will have no student participation in Ratha Con. Although our attendees are not necessarily all students, we want to make sure to provide our event at a time when students would be able to attend, in our hopes to maximize attendance, outreach, and involvement between our community and the University community.
Given our need to cancel the April 18th date, we did not want to make an announcement without being able to offer our attendees something in exchange. So, instead of canceling completely for 2020, we are pleased to announce we have confirmed a rescheduled date for October 17th, 2020! It seems like October will be a VERY busy con season, and we’re sad about April but excited for the opportunities we can have with a fall con! (More pumpkin’ chuckin’ anyone???)
Please mark your calendars for October 17th, 2020, for Ratha Con!
That all being said, what happens now???
If you are a vendor, guest or artist and have already paid for your table, you have a couple of options:
1. Please check your email for a message from our event coordinator, Kelly.
2. If you can make the new date of October 17th work and would still like to be a part of Ratha Con, your space is still reserved for you.
3. If you are not able to make that date or do not want to, please respond to Kelly’s email and let her know, and we will issue you a full refund for your table fee.
In addition, we’re currently brainstorming some ideas of some fun things we can still do on April 18th but in a virtual format! Make sure you’re following our Facebook and Instagram pages for updates on digital events in the next month or so.
Again, we are truly heartbroken at this turn of events, but at the same time, glad that our event will not potentially be harmful to our attendees. We’re also optimistic about our new date, and even a bit excited about having some extra planning time.
Thank you, everyone, for your continued support of Ratha Con, and your patience and understanding while we all go through this difficult time. We absolutely love our convention family, and as so many others have said, we’re all in this together!
Feel free to comment below, or send us a Facebook message or email if you have any questions, comments, or concerns
Thank you, you may now return to your regularly scheduled social distancing